Thursday, May 8, 2008

Why Do We Need to Remember Shea Stadium?
















The New York Post is running this piece, in order to commemorate the final season of Shea Stadium. Why do I need to remember one of the worst and ugliest stadiums I have ever set foot in. The seats are uncomfortable, the security is terrible and there is no special feeling about it. No one walks into Shea Stadium and feels past Mets' ghosts in the walls. All you can feel is your knees pressed up against the head of the guy sitting in front of you.
The only thing I will miss in Shea, which I hope carries over to the new stadium is the extreme lack of security. In Yankee Stadium, you need to show your ticket in order to get into the first 20 rows. If your seat is not there, you can't go behind the dugout. However, in Shea, none of the ushers care. All you have to do is buy upper-deck seats from a scalper before the game and walk down to one of the many seats available down the baseline. I have tried this a number of times without fail.
To be perfectly honest, I won't miss Shea Stadium at all. I won't miss Yankee Stadium either. I would rather have the new features, the comfortable seats with good views of the field, the more intimate setting of a smaller stadium. I can't wait until New York baseball in 2009.

- D. Spell

No comments: