Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Golf in Gotham? It Can Happen

I come to you today from the great state of New Jersey where I am at the Paramus Golf Club, about to start my first round of the season. I was going to liveblog it, since it is such a momentous occasion, but I realize that reading a series of "slice, hook, three-putt, and fuck that tree" would be less than exciting. Instead I want to point out the dearth of golfing options available to those of us in the Gotham area. Unless you have a car, you are not going anywhere except for maybe Chelsea Piers where you can pay an insane amount of money for the privilege of having the balls automatically placed on the tee (which is quite cool, but not worth an extra 20 bucks). There is a pitch and putt course out near Shea Stadium, in Flushing, and that is a lot of fun, but with no holes longer than 120 yards it cannot satisfy the golfing itch. Yes there are courses on Long Island, but most of them are private and a pain to get too. And there are the hundreds of courses in New Jersey, but I wish there was a more suitable option for the Gotham golfer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe that there are golf course in all of the outer boroughs. In Brooklyn, for instance, there is a pitch and putt (Marine Park) and an 18 hole course (Dyker Park), which is where Tiger Woods first learned to play. Both are accessible via public transportation. Maybe someone else can advise about the courses in the other boroughs.