Monday, May 5, 2008

Give the Bull a Chance

Soccer sucks. We all know it, even Pele knows that his sport is a joke. Yet, for some reason Fifa is one of the most enjoyable and popular video games on the market. Few things are better than playing a couple of games in the Championship League with my Stoke City Potters, but when I turn on the live-action version of a "match" I always find myself bored to tears unless millions of shots are being taken or there is that gay ref made famous on YouTube on the "pitch" (http://youtube.com/watch?v=86AJje3ElDc). But sometimes I will turn on the Red Bulls game, the New York sport slut that I am, and I find myself enjoying the games. Not only do the Bulls have sick "kits", but their best player, Angel, is actually good even by European standards. Yes European standards mean nothing to me since I find that shit boring as hell, but it is nice to know that not everyone in the MLS is a huge turd who came to America simply because they couldn't make it in the "Premier League". The Red Bulls have only played 5 games this so season, so it is not too late to become a fan of Bulls this year (And no I am not talking about Darrell’s mom). Some other reasons to support the Red Bulls:
· Jozy Altidore-He’s only 19, he is from the Grandparent capital of the world, Boca Raton, FL, and his name is Jozy, if he isn’t cool then I don’t know who is
· Hot foreign chicks-foreign girls are hot, they like guys who love “football”, you love “football”! You are in, nice job man.
· The perks of loving a team with a small fan base-4 tickets are only 90 bucks if you sit on the “corner flag”, plus you get 4 free t-shirts. Its 90 bucks for one t-shirt at Yankee Stadium, let alone 4. Or you can become a Red Bulls Member, get a free fleece, and meet the players after every game.
· Being ahead of the curve-Being a fan of the Red Bulls is really a win-win. Either the MLS actually becomes a legitimate league allowing you to say that you were a fan before it was cool. Or the MLS remains a niche league, but now you are a fan of a niche sport allowing you to act superior around all of your friends who just don’t “get” the game of soccer.
· Did I mention the girls?

So, I beg of you, good people of Gotham, give the Red Bulls a chance, or at least keep playing Fifa.
-Mose

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

soccer blows

Rob Celletti said...

Hey man, great post. I'm a Red Bulls fan and it's good to see someone who isn't even a soccer fan helping to promote the team. Going to the games is what will convert a lot of people, soccer fans or not. Yeah, Giants Stadium can be a hassle and it lacks atmosphere, but a nice tailgate before hand makes you forget all that in a hurry. I go to every game and it's an absolute blast.

Plus, next year, the Red Bulls are opening their own stadium in Harrison, NJ. Accessible by the PATH train, and it'll be smaller (around 25,000 seats) which means great atmosphere and good seats all around.

Also really quick...I post on a blog with some fellow NY sports fans (though we cover all topics):
http://sportsfreakers.blogspot.com/

I'd like to link this article on our site...maybe you guys can link us back? Awesome. Again, great work.

Gotham's Clubhouse said...

Thanks for the kind words, that sounds great. Shoot me an email gothamsclubhouse@gmail.com, and we will work it out, but feel free to link away.

-Mose