Monday, June 23, 2008

A Draining System Would Be Nice

The picture on the left is an image of what Yankee Stadium looked like in the sixth inning of Sunday's game. I know because I was there. I sat in the bleachers with my brother when in the sixth inning, the skies opened up and it started to pour. The wind was obscene. In fact, it was so strong, it actually took my Coca Cola bottle, which was calmly resting on the bench in front of me, and sent it flying in the air across my section.
Now, here's where the Yankee Stadium architects are really brilliant. You have to walk up a small ramp to get from the indoor concessions to the bleachers. Naturally, water will stream down the ramp, considering liquid will rarely flow uphill. They delayed the game - seeing the grounds crew trying to put the tarp on the field in the wind was hilarious - and people started to go inside to get shelter from the rain. Of course, as my brother and I set foot inside, we felt a pool of water up to our ankles. All the water was draining into the Stadium. It was completely flooded, which led to a great time for me and an even greater time for my socks, who were accompanied by water and peanut shavings. 
Cheers to the builders of 1976, who are responsible for turning Yankee Stadium into a pool today. And for the record, the water was pitch black. 

- D. Spell

No comments: